Wednesday, May 3, 2017

I May Have A Scrap Problem... More Progress, and a Fun Challenge!


Hi, all!

Welcome to Fun With Scraps!!  Ok, maybe I've been watching too much Big Bang Theory, but that's what keeps running through my head...  I've been having a lot of fun with my scraps this week, in between my "have-to-dos".  It's nice to have something to reward myself with - - - and I never thought I'd consider scrap sewing as a reward, but the times, they are a-changing!

I've been working hard on my Long Time Gone quilt blocks.  Last week I needed a quick fix, so I pulled out my bonus triangle tub and jumped ahead to the Half-Square Triangle blocks.  Here's the first block...


This block was made with bonus triangles from one of my Scrappy Star quilts from the Stunning Stars quilt-along.  Then I moved on to this one...


... which is made with HSTs left over from my very first bee quilt, back in 2010.  And finally, this one...


...which used leftover HSTs from a quilt I made several years ago.


Then Tuesday morning I grabbed my overflowing string hamper, and pulled out bright and low volume strings for the Courthouse Steps blocks....


And here are my nine Courthouse Steps blocks, all finished!  This was the first time I had ever made Courthouse Steps blocks, and they were fun and easy.

And you know what I've learned throughout this process?  I have a lot more pretty bright scraps than I thought I did!  I've always admired bright scrappy quilts on blogs, but thought I didn't have enough brights to make similar quilts.  It's been eye-opening, to say the least.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*


And now, here's a fun Challenge from my friend Annie over at Annie's Ruby Slipperz!  She's started a challenge for herself and anyone else who wants to sew along...

Sew for just 30 minutes each day (6 days a week, 1 free day) for the whole month of May 2017.

You can read more about the challenge on her blog (click here to see the info post).  She's got a giveaway at the end of the month, too!  Sounds like fun to me, and a great way to maybe work through some scraps!  Just imagine what you could accomplish if you sewed with your scraps for 30 minutes a day in May!!

If you're on Instagram, use the hashtag #Sew30SewFunMay2017, and tag Annie (@anniesrubyslipperz) if you join in!


How's that scrap monster of yours doing these days?

Hugs!

Sarah

Oops - almost forgot the linky!  Link-up below if you want to show off your scrappy progress this week...  😄


9 comments:

  1. such colourful blocks you have from the scraps

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could just about do half an hour a day with scraps, and still have some left at the end of the month. this is a great sew-along, and fun to share as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have great color in your scraps - mine are getting muddle-puddle as I get dark gifted. Think I need to add some new FQs into my mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everyone of those blocks, when I saw that first one on Instagram I scrambled to find a background fabric in my stash like the one you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only wish I had 30 minutes a day to sew!! Love these blocks though. What size are the 1/2 square triangles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah - love your scrap blocks! I just got back into my scraps, and posted the first part in the linky. There's more to follow! And sewing scraps 30 minutes a day sounds doable. I'll be checking out Annie's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your scrappy play! Makes me want to play with hsts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blocks! I look forward to seeing what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could sew a little every day but that hasn't been possible for quite a while. But changes are a coming so I'll be sewing more very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!